17 February, 2012

Lazi's St. Isidore the Farmer Church



According to the signage, the Church of Saint Isidore the Farmer or San Isidro Labrador in Lazi, Siquijor was built in 1857 by the Order of Augustinian Recollects under the supervision of Friar Toribio Sanchez, O.A.R.  The church was built using stones from the sea and hard wood.  This was eventually finished my Filipino artisans in 1884.


When we were there, the church was ongoing renovation though visitors were still allowed to enter it.

Inside, I was struck at how big the church was and how far the entrance was to the altar making any bride's walk down the aisle very romantic.


Then my attention was drawn to this.


As I walked down the grand aisle towards the altar, I noticed that it too was ongoing renovation.



Above, I was amazed by the dome that according to Noel served as the choir's area back in the old days.



Then I found this pulpit that reminded me of another old church in Bohol as it was the first and only church I saw with a pulpit like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment