14 March, 2009

Fat Tuesday


The Plot
Burke Basile is a cop with nothing left to lose. Responsible for his partner’s death, his marriage and his career over, he focuses on his nemesis, Pinkie Duvall, a flamboyant attorney who helps killers evade justice. Burke’s shocking revenge centers around kidnapping Remy, the lawyer’s trophy wife. But Burke hasn’t planned on the electric attraction he’ll feel for this desperate woman, who rose from the slums of New Orleans to marry a man she can never love. Nor could he have ever predicted the fierce duel that will explode amid the Mardi Gras madness, as the clock ticks toward midnight on Fat Tuesday – when all masks are stripped away, and Burke must confront his own ugly secret.

My verdict
I first read a Sandra Brown novel when I was in college and from the moment I started reading “Exclusive,” I became her instant fan. This isn’t one of my favorite books by the said author though as I hate the heroine. Remy is too submissive to her husband. I understand she’s doing this to protect her sister but come on, can anyone be that spineless? Also, I find her boring. Someone who has beauty but lacks substance to make the reader identify or empathize with her.

It’s still a good read though as the narrative is fast-paced, albeit predictable (the attraction between hero and heroine and their ending up together).

But if there’s something to adore in this book, it would be Gregory, the gay “drama queen” who really made me laugh with his whines and quips, especially in the scene where he helped Burke kidnap Remy. He’s just so funny!

No comments:

Post a Comment