24 September, 2008

Superstitions on Moving in to a New Place

Filipinos have a lot of superstitions. We have superstitions for the New Year, superstitions for pregnant women, wedding superstitions etc. I just did not know that we also have superstitions for people who have just moved houses.

I just transferred houses. I’ve been to my new condo for nearly three weeks now and this weekend, I decided to do a general cleaning. As I was sweeping the floor of my room, I saw a comb beneath my bed. I wondered how it got there or why it’s there in the first place because I don’t use a comb. I prefer hairbrushes. Then I remembered. It’s there because of my mom.

Mom has been pretty supportive of my decision to move houses. It even elated here for she knew my new place would be near to where I work and commuting would then be not much of a hassle. The minute I told her that I’ve already done packing my stuff and ready to move out, she advised me to bring a comb and put it in the door. I asked why and she told me it’s supposed to bring good luck.

My colleagues who are all sweethearts were also happy for me in finding a condo near my work. My boss even planned on giving me a loaf of bread and salt. I laughed. What are those for? She said these are what people usually do when they move houses as it signifies luck. Oh, okay.

These two events thus made me ponder on just how many superstitions are there about moving in to a new place. I asked one friend and she told me that she was advised by her mom to position herself to where the sun is shining at dawn when she is new in a place. I asked why and she said she also does not know. She added that this is what people from Batangas are told to do.

Interesting.

Below are more superstitions about moving in and getting settled in one's new home.
When you move to a new house, always enter first with a loaf of bread and a new broom. Never bring an old broom into the house.

Stuff fennel in your keyhole or hang it over your door to protect against witches.

Never carry a hoe into the house. If you do so by mistake, carry it out again, walking backward to avoid bad luck.

Never walk under a ladder, which is Satan's territory. If you must do it, cross your fingers or make the sign of the fig (closed fist, with thumb between index and middle fingers).

If you give a steel blade to a friend, make the recipient pay you a penny to avoid cutting the friendship.

Never pound a nail after sundown, or you will wake the tree gods.

Nail an evergreen branch to new rafters to bring good luck. An empty hornets' nest, hung high, also will bring good luck to any age house.

Click HERE to view the complete list of superstitions.

Here are more, taken from another website:

If the previous owners have been kind, they will have left some bread (or rice, depending where you are in the world) and salt behind for you. If the realtor got rid of it, don't worry, just make sure the first person to enter carries these items, plus a new broom.

The salt should be sprinkled in all the rooms and across the door sills, so evil spirits will never enter.

Pick your move-in date very carefully. Regardless of contract exchange, escrow or lengthy chains, you should move in when the moon is waxing. Avoid Fridays, Saturdays and rainy days.

Thursday is a propitious day for moving in Tamil culture.

Poke the fire for luck.

The first time you leave your new home, make sure you exit by the same door that you entered, otherwise you will never settle.

If a pal brings you a set of knives as a housewarming present, don't accept it, or offer them a coin in exchange, unless you expect your friend to become an enemy before too long.

And here are more Filipino superstitions about building houses and moving in to one's new home:

If you are to build a house, always begin during a full moon.

The best months to build a house is during the months of March, June, July, August, September, and November.

Never build your house at the end of a cul-de-sac, or "dead end" road.

The number of steps on a staircase should not be in multiples of three. Count off the steps as oro (gold), plata (silver), and mata (death). The last step must not fall on mata.

Always move into a new house on a Wednesday or Saturday.

When moving into a new home, scatter coins in the living room so prosperity will reign.

Bees found inside the house will bring fortune and good luck to its occupants.

If you want to rid your house of bedbugs (fleas), place some on a piece of paper then leave them in someone else's house. The bedbugs will move to that house.

If you wish to rid your home of unwanted visitors, secretly sprinkle salt around the house and they will soon depart.
Click HERE for the source of the latter.

I've never been a believer of such thus finding the comb was very funny for me. Oh well, they say mothers know best and being the good (cough) daughter that I am, I only heeded my mom's advice.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, that's a lot of superstition. Same in ES. My favorite is that if you get bit by a scorpion you have to drink "una horchata de pupu" which essentially is a poo-smoothie, lol. Crazy stuff, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. that is indeed crazy. no way in hell will i drink it. eww!!! gross!

    crazy. ;P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm trying to find the reason why you can't either "move into a house or buy a house in december". My grandmother told me this many years ago and then recently my stepfather bought a house in oct then moved in from nov-dec. He died 7 months later and my aunt made the comment about the superstition. I still don't know the reasoning behind it and would like to find out. Anyone out there know of this?

    ReplyDelete