01 August, 2012

Trekking Sumilon Island

One of the inclusions of a day tour package at Sumilon Bluewater Island Resort is trekking, which my friends and I decided to do upon arrival at the island.

As we decided to not get a guide, we initially got lost because we did not see the signage that signified the start of the trek.  We only realized this when we were already about twelve meters away from the resort and noticed that the dusty road was frequented by locals, not tourists.  One man's reply to my inquiry of where we were confirmed my suspicion so we headed back to our starting point.  

After seeing this signage, we started our trek knowing that we were now on the right track.


As we were on higher ground, the view of the sea and land below was breathtaking.



There's this wooden beach too where we stayed for a while to rest.


My favorite shots are these:



The highlights of this trek is climbing the island's watchtower and seeing its baluarte, which I will blog about later.

The hour-long trek of Sumilon Island was a fun activity but it was also disappointing.  Why?  Because I thought I would be able to see birds or some interesting plants but I did not.  The trees I saw were mostly Ipil-Ipil.


I did find one interesting plant though and heard bird calls.


Hopefully, Bluewater Sumilon Island Resort's management would think of planting more interesting plants and naming them for reference purposes so trekking guests would have a better experience than just sweating and seeing the tower and baluarte.

No comments:

Post a Comment