03 August, 2009

President Corazon "Cory" Cojuangco Aquino, Beloved Mother of the Philippines


I first learned about her demise when I woke up at past 4:00 AM last Saturday, August 01, 2009. Unable to go back to sleep, I went online and browsed through Yahoo! News and read about it there. I was stunned but at the same time, wary. Too wary that I did not post a link of the news page in any of my social networking sites, specifically in Facebook because the week before it, there were erroneous reports about her “death.” But I buzzed about the news so it will reflect in my Yahoo! Profiles and I can easily get back to it for reference.

At about 7:00 AM, I headed downstairs to buy breakfast and came back to the condo where I saw my housemate watching the news. My wariness about the news of Tita Cory’s death dissipated into thin air and in its place came sadness.

I was only three years old when the 1986 EDSA Revolution happened but later on, I got fascinated by the stories I learned about it. One professor in college narrated that that was the time when one is proudest to be a Filipino. Another professor said that the world was so awed by what they witnessed that when Filipinos would travel abroad, they were accorded with such esteemed regard that extended to Filipinos having a special “express” lane whenever they would arrive in or depart from some countries.

I have always been proud about my being a Filipino but it makes me prouder to have such honorable countrymen as President Corazon “Cory” Cojuangco Aquino. Thank God for the gift of her to us.

Below is the message I left in her official website. You may also leave your message there and have the website as your reference for it has announcements as well as live streaming.

To Tita Cory,

You will be sorely missed. Know that you are very much loved and we thank the Lord for the gift of your life. May you in your resting place have peace and may you also continue to intercede for the Filipino people and for peace in the world.

Some people live even after their death and you are such a person to us. Your legacy lives on and even in your death and beyond it, you are still and will always be a beacon of hope and a source of inspiration to countless Filipinos and to the world as well.

With prayers.

I also posted a message that is on the same thought in Yahoo! Answers. To view the question, click HERE.

The past days, I only got updates about Tita Cory’s wake through the news on TV, online or on newspapers but today I had the privilege of personally seeing the nation mourn the loss of its mother. Cory’s remains passed by Ayala Avenue, Makati to where the statue of Ninoy is and what I witnessed was enough to give me goosebumps. It was quite moving.

The crowd was overwhelming! People from all walks of life were there – students, young professionals, the religious, the rich and the poor, the old and the young alike. These people braved the scorching heat of the sun so they could pay tribute to the lady responsible for bringing back democracy in the country.

As for my participation today, I did updates online through my Facebook account. I also threw some confetti, which we have prepared since 9:00 in the morning, right after we found out that she would be passing by our area. I also snapped some pictures from our office building.


For the complete set of pictures, click HERE. Some pictures are not that clear though as either the camera was zoomed in or I took the picture through our glass windows.

This picture of a lone yellow balloon was taken moments after the President passed by. And like this yellow balloon, may she fly freely to where Ninoy is waiting for her.


Rest in peace, our beloved Tita Cory.

No comments:

Post a Comment